Wednesday 21 March 2012

Found…and lost…


Got home yesterday to find a message from an American ebay seller from whom I'd bought some vintage quilting. It was lovely stuff, all rather small fragments of various lovely feedsack quilts in degrees of disrepair. I've been excitedly looking forward to getting it too. But she says she mistakenly listed it twice, and has refunded me my money as she has already sold it and shipped it out! Nooooo! I'm so disappointed. So back on the trail then, hunting down quilting in the right state of decrepitude (not new and bright, not too far gone, nothing that looks smelly, not too costly) which I intend to use to make things like the above needlecase, currently for sale in my Etsy shop…

On a slightly different note, I have seen some sights at school in my short time there, but nothing so evocative as the science lesson yesterday in which Year 7 were invited to cut up some sheep hearts. Two girls refused, dramatically faltering as if to faint, several groaned in disgust at the idea and one already naturally pale boy went positively white and took on the pallor of the Corpse Bride in Tim Burton's film, and had to leave the room. Most students hacked away at the hearts with scalpels so dangerously close to the digits of their partners I had to half-close my eyes. It was only will-power which prevented me from leaping over the desks and grabbing said scalpels from their over-enthusiatic little hands. Eventually nothing recognisable was left to examine, and no-one was injured, which I guess is a satisfactory outcome. Not sure any of them will become surgeons…
http://www.etsy.com/listing/95545379/beautiful-handstitched-needlecase-made

No comments:

Post a Comment